Saturday, August 23, 2008

The first weekend in Korea

Okay, so I made it through the first week!! THANK GOD!!! My first day teaching was pretty much a complete nightmare. I had almost no idea what to do, I didn't know if they had homework or not, all I knew was what I had to teach and that was difficult because most of my classes were going over one chapter that was made up of two pages and I and the syllabus says that I am supposed to break that chapter up into 2-45 minute class periods! WTF, MAN! I can barely make that much material go for 1 class period let alone two. This weekend I have to take this new book and write 5 comprehension questions from each chapter and there are 10 chapters. That is just lame, I mean as a teacher, I already have enough grading and other stuff to do during the normal time but you then dumb this on me, LAME!!!

Anyway, I am not complaining really, the school has its quirks but I do believe it is a very valuable asset to my resume and I really enjoy working there mostly, the people are great!


Okay so earlier today I went with Ross and Chris to TechnoMart, if you haven't seen this thing it is huge, (my own picture of it will come soon, once its not raining so im not afraid to take my camera) 38 stories above ground, 6 stories underground, an observation deck, a movie theatre, tons of shopping, electronics galore (IE: Phantom heaven). We basically just went and looked around and exchanged some stuff they needed to get but I hope I can go back soon and check it all out myself (once i get a paycheck ). Then we came back and separated till about 1:30 but before that I tripped on the sidewalk re-injuring the leg muscle I hurt last week when I was trying to get in my seat on the plane to Minnesota URGH!! So knowing it was gonna involve a good deal of walking wherever we were headed, I had to bail on the guys, so I called Ross and told him what was up and hopefully we will be able to all go together next weekend. I then rested my leg for a long while, washed clothes and for you Mrs. Coggins, I built that clothes rack all by myself and the directions were in Korean so yeah i got pictures and they will be up with in the next few days hopefully. Then I watched Tropic Thunder on surfthechanel.com and was disappointed at the movie that replaced "The Dark Knight" in the number 1 spot in the box office. Then I got hungry....not just for anything....but for one thing momma.....KIM CHI STEW!!!!!! I went looking everywhere to see if i could see a picture of it....nothing happening.....finally I just gave up and went to this place that has bulgolgi. This place is now my favorite restaurant in Korea, the waiter spoke English! THANK GOD!!! Then he asked me if i wanted a menu and I looked at the menu and he pointed out the meats you could get but something caught my eye....KIM CHI CASSEROLE. Boy was I surprised, I didnt expect to get what I wanted when I walked in but there it was. So I ordered that tonight and I must say it was everything I wanted and then some. Take that Kim Chi Stew we had at Du Won Jung and intensify the spicy-ness by 10% and you have it. The main difference was that this one had fresh cut jalapeno peppers in it. It was really reasonable 6,000 won which is about 6 US dollars. I plan to go back tomorrow for supper but this time I'm gonna have the Pork bulgolgi. This was the first real Korean meal I have had since I arrived here and that one meal has made my entire trip over here worth it. Suddenly this place doesnt seem so strange, its not home, because my friends and my parents are not here but it could be a good place to live for a year. Now I just have a big task which I'm not sure when I will be ready for and that is riding public transportation, I think I'm gonna wait till i get paid before I venture out much more into the unknown, I mean at least I know what is around the mile radius of me.

Well I love and miss you guys have a good one and I will talk to you soon!!

Sam

No comments: